This update on the eve of New Year 2010 is a kind of resolution to fight obesity. Today I am about to reveal how I lost 25 kilos of weight in the past 10 months at home without spending a single rupee. Like me in the past, there might be several other millions of people around the world who are suffering from obesity and are willing to reduce their weight; but couldn’t do so due to lack of guidance and proper knowledge of diet to be followed to burn those excess calories. To be honest, it’s not easy to burn those calories. Good Health never comes easy. I followed a few simple things recommended by Dr. Mantena Satyanarayan Raju to get rid of my excess weight. Initially my emphasis was on to reduce my excess weight but as the days progressed I shifted my gears on living healthy and changed my complete life style. Today, I am able to enjoy a healthy life style, thanks to Dr. Raju’s preaching. I have already posted why and how I happened to adapt Dr. Raju’s Natural Way of Living (refer my previous updates “Natural Ways of Living” on the right of this blog) published in the month of May’09, which also happens to by my first update in this blog.
After successful completion of 10 months of my “
Natural Way of Living”, I tried to make a self assessment of my health status. In the past 10 months I realized that I never suffered any fever, flu, throat infections, and headache etc. which were apart of my life before. I realized that my immune system has improved as never before. During these 10 months I happen to visit a doctor only once due to neck breakage while practicing yoga. As told before, my first emphasis was on to reduce my overweight; but I gradually happened to gain great health in the process. This magical change had made me stick to the “ Natural Way of Living”.
After successful completion of 10 months of my “
The above two are my past and present photos. Some times I do wonder myself looking at these pictures. When I adopted Dr. Manten’s “
Natural Way of Living” I expected some change but never imagined such a radical change in this short span of time. Don’t worry! I am neither going to sell any fitness product nor services by showing these pictures. It is intended to let you know how one can lose weight by following simple measures of Dr. Mantena’s “ Natural Way of Ling”.
There are numerous institutions and products available in the market inviting people with attractive incentives and unbelievable offers to lose excess weight. You find plenty of advertisements on TV and in news journals attracting people with vast verities of products and services on weight reduction. Some claim “Drink our Dr. Tea twice a day and lose 10 kilos of weight in a week” and others claim “use our personal massager and lose up to 7 inches of your waist in 10 days without any workout”. Trust me! They are all scrap! Never fall into those traps. Losing weight is exclusively in your hands. No person or product can come to your rescue in this issue.
1.Strong Will Power: A strong will is very essential to achieve a goal in any work. As discussed above, losing weight is not an easy task and it has lot to deal with will power. When I started following Dr. Raju’s recommended diet routine, the result was very discouraging in the beginning 4 months. I hadn’t lost even a kilogram of weight after such a strict diet routine. My strong will power and self belief has helped me a lot in achieving my goal. Some of my friends too joined Dr. Mantena’s
Natural Wayof Living to lose their weights but none of them had succeeded. Each one of them cites one or some other reason. I have a doctor friend called Dr. Vali. He once asked me some tips to lose his overweight. I instructed a few easy tips for his cause. It’s been 6 months since then and no change in his appearance. Every time I ask him whether he find my tips useful; I receive the same answer from him that he has couple of functions and ceremonies to attend and he is going to start working on my tips after attending them. His functions and ceremonies never end and he never starts his weight reduction program. Another friend of mine Mr. Venkat Rao whose weight is increasing at an alarm pace claims that his wife isn’t co-operating him in cooking the kind of food recommended by me. If you try to do with this attitude; I bet you never achieve your goal. Unless you have a strong will to overcome all these kinds of hurdles, you can’t achieve your goal.
- 2. Sacrifice: This is very crucial in losing the weight. You need to sacrifice some of your favorite recipes and dishes. Here again your will power comes handy. It is not easy to sacrifice your favorite stuff. Every time you eat; you must remember that you are eating for your good health. Good health cannot be bought. It has to be gained. And you will gain it by sacrifice. You feel bad to lose them initially but once you gain your health you will enjoy and feel proud of sacrificing such a junk. After adopting
Natural Wayof Living I sacrificed all my favorite stuff and when I look back, I never regret what I lost but enjoy what I have gained.
- 3. Food Discipline: The above two factors are related to psychological preparations. Once you are ready with above two, food discipline is not very difficult. Many believe that one can lose weight by regular exercises. But to my belief; mere exercises doesn’t help you lose weight. Food discipline is very essential for every individual not only to reduce weight but also to stay fit and healthy. And some people believe that they can lose weight by skipping meals and remain on fasting for couple of days. Never try this. It’s harmful for our body. By skipping food we might burn calories but our body needs many nutritional enzymes, minerals and proteins to function. Skipping food might lack these elements and leads to serious health hazards. Let us try to understand and follow a better food discipline
- a) Drinking 1.5 Liters of Water early in the Morning: Always start your morning by drinking 1.5 liters of water as soon as you wake up. This helps you in cleansing the inner body and free bowel movement. Once you drink that much of water in the morning, you are going to enjoy the pleasure of discharging the faeces. I haven’t given any miss in drinking 1.5 liters of water in the morning as soon as I wake up from the moment I started following Dr. Raju’s “
Natural Wayof Living”.
- b) Exercises: Half an hour later do some exercises whether it might be Yoga, Aerobics, Gym, Walking, Jogging, Skipping or any other kind of physical activity for an hour or more. Physical exercises will not only help in reduction of weight but also keeps you fit and strong. I started performing Yoga after losing 20 kilos of weight. After losing 20 kilos, the skin around my stomach, biceps and thigh region was hanging loose. It was similar to the condition of a pregnant lady after delivering the baby. I realized the need to tone it up. Therefore, I downloaded all the videos of Ram Dev Baba from you tube and started learning Yog Asans. As the days gone by I realized the pleasure and joy of performing Yog Asans and Pranayams. Yog Asans and Pranayams are the blessings to the mankind by the great ancient saints and sages of
c) Drinking another 1 liter of water after Exercises: 10 minutes after finishing your workout drink another liter of water and flush your intestine one more time. Well… to be honest, I am unable to drink this additional liter of water again after exercises due to lack of time. The time doesn’t look like stopping in the morning. In this busy modern life in cities, I find it exceptional. I still wonder how Dr. Raju could manage all this with such perfection.
- d) Breakfast: This is very crucial part in the
Natural Wayof Living. As we all know that our body is a combination of trillions of cells. We need energy to work. Where do we get this energy from? From the heat generated by our cells. Our cells relax at night when we sleep. Since we need energy to work throughout the day, we need to end our whole night fast by eating some light food. Always begin your day by having juices, fruits and uncooked vegetables as your breakfast. I have been regularly eating 120gms of sprouted whole moong beans (botanical name-vigna radiate), Chick Peas and Cow Peas (Black eye beans) in my breakfast everyday. When it comes to nutrition whole grains or beans are considered number one. The nutritional value increases three times more in the whole grains when they are sprouted; revealed in a study by the National Institute of Nutrition, . Sprouted beans are low in calories, rich in potassium and easy to digest. Add any fruit along with the sprouts if you wish. Sprouted beans are like a boon to the people suffering from chronic diseases like diabetes, high cholesterol, anemia and many other liver and kidney problems. For those healthy people who include these sprouts as a part of their daily menu, these chronic diseases like diabetes, high cholesterol, anemia etc. would never come in their way. Unfortunately, most people in India do not consider sprouts as a food item. People in southern parts of India cannot think of breakfast other than traditional Idlis, Vadas, Dosas, Pooris etc. According to Mantena Satyanarayana Raju this kind of food is the main source of diseases in this part of the world. India
- e) Drinking Water in the Day: Drink 2.5 to 3.5 liters of water throughout the day in small quantities giving a gap of half an hour before and two hours after every meal intake. It keeps you fresh and energetic throughout the hectic day of work. There is no better refreshment of energy than water intake. When you drink water while you eat, the entire digestive gases in the stomach washes out and evaporates leading to improper digestion and constipation. To derive full benefits of eating food, you need to allow your stomach to churn the food properly by releasing various digestive gases and enzymes. I want to add another important point here. I have observed many people wake up from sleep to drink water at nights. You don’t actually need water at nights, if you drink enough after in the above described manner. Many people do not realize the importance of drinking water. When they feel thirst, they drink concentrated sodas and soft drinks. If you keep your fluid levels high by drinking water in the above prescribed manner, you feel more energetic and enthusiastic as never before.
- f) Lunch: Avoid all refined and polished carbohydrates like Potato, Rice, Maida and Sugar during lunch. Needless to say that you got to sacrifice eating non-vegetarian and the food cooked in lots of oil, ghee, masalas and spices. Eat Wheat Phulkas at Lunch to get early results. People unable to avoid rice can eat Brown Rice instead. After following Dr. Mantena Satyanarayana Raju’s
Natural Wayof Living, I hardly consumed white rice. Initially I shifted my diet to Brown Rice and after a few months I started eating Phulkas even in my Lunch. It not only helps in reducing the excess weight but also keeps your stomach light. Once I started to enjoy Phulkas, I hardly preferred eating rice. More importantly I totally prohibited the use of non-vegetarian food, oil, ghee, masalas and spices in my food. By watching the videos of Dr. Raju I learned the way of cooking food without these stuffs. I have no words to thank Dr. Raju for the work he is doing for the people like me. When I posted my first update “ Natural Waysof Living”, I mentioned that I reduced the intake of above items. But today, I am glad that I totally sacrificed them. Only regret is that I am unable to stop the use of salt totally. Abandoning the salt is a great challenge to the tongue. Efforts are on to abandon the salt as well. And when that happens I am going to win this challenge. I heard Dr. Raju saying number of times that many people overcome every challenge in Natural Wayof Living except the challenge of abandoning the salt. This is because, the salt is considered as the king of taste in Indian Cuisine. And it is always difficult to defeat a King in the contest.
- g) Evening Snacks: When we think of evening snacks what we remember? The pizzas, burgers, sweets, breads, cakes, cookies, biscuits, samosas, chips, noodles, manchurias, chats, kurkures, Mirchies, Vadas and Bajjis and all kinds of processed and refined food made with maida and deadly fats containing Tran’s fats, HNE and other chemicals. Who don’t like these things? Bad things always attract us more than the good. The above items were my favorite ones before. This is where sacrifice comes handy. You need to sacrifice all these evening snacks if you are really serious in burning your calories. Believe me! I haven’t touched any of these items in the past 10 months and I never regret it any more now. They are out of my menu and I have replaced those junk with fruits and juices. Whenever you feel like eating some evening snack, buy any fruit available in the nearby market according to your economic condition and grab it. You might have heard a proverb “An apple a day keeps the doctor at bay”. But according to me “Any fruit a day keeps the doctor at bay”. There is a huge misconception among people about eating some fruits during winter and rainy season. Many believe that eating fruits like guava, cranberries, gooseberries and lemon etc. will result in soar throat and flu during winter. This is absolutely baseless and in fact, these fruits help in strengthening your immune system. Dr. Raju strongly recommends eating every fruit available in the season at least once a day. Natural food is always beneficial to your health.
- h) Dinner: Most people commit a mistake here. Most of us carry a small box for lunch and eat very light during lunch. This is because we don’t want to get lazy during work. When it comes to dinner, we sit altogether at one place and eat leisurely and heavily with some gup-shup on the dinning table. I wouldn’t be wrong if I say that many of us end up filling the stomach till the throat during dinner serving all kinds of varieties. Since we take rest during nights the excess calories we eat in dinner are stored by the fat cells in their reservoirs leading us to obesity. One should be very careful in selecting the kind of food you eat at night. You need not get up half stomach from your dining table at dinner. You have to avoid heavy oil cooked and non-vegetarian foods at night. You need to identify the food which has low calories and more minerals and enzymes. There is no better food at dinner than phulkas made of wheat, maize, millet and barley. Eat more vegetables and less rice or phulkas because the vegetables possess lots of minerals, enzymes, vitamins and rich fiber resources which keep your body healthy.
Some Important Points: So far you have learned about food disciple. Let us now try to learn some other important points in “
- a) Eat more vegetables: Indian cuisine is never complete without curries. You need curries to eat rice as well as phulkas. I have been consuming leafy green and other vegetable curries cooked without oil, ghee, masalas and spices during all this while and believe me I am enjoying every bit of it. Many of us believe that curries cannot be cooked without oil and those spices. If you haven’t tried so far, have a go at it by watching Dr. Mantena’s Videos on You Tube or follow my blog “Mantena’s Kitchen”. The hardcore rule of Dr. Mantena’s
Natural Waysof Living is eating ¾ of Curries and ¼ of Rice or Phulkas. This is because these leafy green and other vegetable curries contain numerous types of vitamins, minerals, proteins and enzymes that are required for the body. More importantly they are rich in fiber content which is very essential for cleansing of our body internally.
- b) Eat only when you feel hungry: There is very bad practice among many of us that we eat whatever offered to us at any time and any place. Eat nothing in between your breakfast, lunch, evening snack and dinner. By nothing, it means nothing! Not even a single biscuit, a piece of chocolate or fruit. If anyone offers you any of these, keep it with you and eat when you feel hungry along with your breakfast, lunch or dinner. Eating often disturbs your digestive system resulting in serious gastric and other problems. We Indians are usually humble people. We cannot deny anybody’s offer to eat or drink something thinking that the other person might get hurt. Dr. Raju says; never eat for other’s satisfaction. Doing so will harm your personal health. I follow this principle very strictly. If anything is offered to me, I gently accept it without hurting his feelings and eat it according to my schedule if it is in my menu otherwise I gently deny the same.
- c) Regular Vegetables in your Menu: In order to get quick results and lose weight early, you have to add “Bottle Gourds, Snake Gourds, Ivy Gourds, Ridge gourd, Lemon Cucumber etc.” in your menu. Any one of these gourds should be a part of your daily dinner menu. Because, these vegetables are rich in nutrition and low in calories. 1 Kilo of any of these gourds contains a mere 70-90 calories approximately which is equal to the calories you get from a cup of tea. Apart from them, any one kind of leafy vegetable should be a part of your daily meal. It might be Spinach, Amaranths, Sorrel leaves, Fenugreek Leaves, Mustard Leaves etc. because these leaves are very rich in nutrition which keeps you strong and healthy.
- d) Honey & Lemon Juice: Drink 2tps of honey and lemon juice in lukewarm water every morning in the empty stomach after exercises. This helps in burning calories to some extent.
- e) Flax Seeds: Flaxseed is another rich nutrient of omega 3 fatty acids which helps reduce your weight apart from many other health benefits. According to Dr. O.P. Mehra,
, Rajasthan, adding 30gms of flax seeds a day will do wonders for your health. Roast these seeds and store in a bottle. Grind 30-40 gms every day and add the same in wheat flour while making phulkas or sprinkle it in your curries after cooking as masala. Kota
- f) Avoid Processed, Polished and Refined Foods: Half your work is done if you could do this. Instead, eat organic, whole grains and unrefined and unprocessed foods.
I firmly believe that “prevention is better than cure”. Therefore, I urge all the people to react well before it’s too late. And there is no better prevention of diseases than Dr. Mantena Satyanaryana Raju’s
Natural Way of Living. I hope some of you might find this information useful. Keep watching the space for more updates.