In the previous update I published how the Liver loves you. We often trouble the liver by drinking and eating junk foods. Anything and everything you eat goes through the Liver. The food after digestion goes to the Liver in the form of glucose. This glucose might contain numerous proteins, minerals, vitamins, enzymes and as well as other chemical and poisonous substances that come through food. The liver then breaks down the elements required for the body and send it to the blood stream. The elements that are harmful to the body are sent to the Kidneys for excretion.
Liver takes on every harmful substance that comes in through food and water. There are billions of bacteria which cannot be avoided from reaching our body everyday through food and water. The Liver continuously fights and kills them without being known to us. In addition to that we are sending in few more billions of bacteria and other poisonous substances through our bad habits and unhealthy practices.
Let me tell you some easy ways to love your liver.
1. Don’t drown the Liver in beer, alcohol or wine. Please think it once before a single sip of your wine or alcohol about the pain the Liver goes through. The Liver cries and screams its pain through certain symptoms. Try to listen and understand the cry of your liver. The beauty of our body is its miraculous creation. Our body contains an automated self control mechanism. Our body never let in anything that is not required to the body. It excretes immediately the waste substance intruded into the body. Diabetic people and alcohol addicts would understand this symptom very well. If you observe the people suffering from diabetes and who are addicted to alcohol passes urine more frequently. When the sugar levels in the blood exceed the required limit, the automated mechanism of our body excretes the excess sugar through urine. That is the reason why people suffering from diabetes urinate more often. The same is the rule for people drinking alcohol. People who do not pass at least 200 ml of urine in the entire day passes more than a liter of urine when drunk. This means the body doesn’t store any harmful substance inside. Don’t force on something which it doesn’t need. Even one drink is too much for some people and could scar the Liver for life.
2. Another important factor is drugs. We are like addicted to drugs these days; no matter whether it is legal or illegal substance. Due to our bad food habits or unhealthy metabolism we are easily getting prey to certain diseases. Instead of changing our life style we are depending on drugs to cure the disease. Drugs are some times essential. But what are we doing today? We are taking drug pills for every small infection or disease. We take pills for every sneeze, cough, cold, migraine; body aches etc. which is very dangerous to our body. Use drugs only when required. Change in life style should be the first step towards curing any disease. Watch those drugs! All drugs are chemicals and when you mix them up without a doctor’s advice you could create something poisonous that could damage the Liver adversely. Medicine is sometimes necessary. But taking pills when they aren’t necessary is a bad practice. All those chemicals can really hurt your Liver.
3. Stop eating salt and spices. In India Salt and Spices are considered as the King and queen of taste. I know it’s not easy to sacrifice these two. But you have to sacrifice them before it hurts your Liver. You may wonder what Liver is to do with Salt and Spices? It has a straight forward relationship with them. What is the nature of salt? It is to melt things. It can even melt a steel container. Have you observed that? The salt is stored in plastic containers because it melts the steel by rusting it. The same thing it does with the Liver. The Liver Scars easily and those scars called cirrhosis are permanent. Spices do the job of adding salt on the sore. According to Dr. Mantena Satyanarayana Raju garu the men do not need any additional salt or sodium to the body. The sodium we get from the food we eat is more than enough to the body. Therefore eat no salt or less salt to keep your Liver healthy.
4. Be careful with aerosol sprays. Remember, Liver has to detoxify what you breathe in too. So when you are cleaning with aerosol cleaners make sure the room is ventilated or wear a mask. That goes double for bug sprays, mildew sprays, paint sprays and all those other chemical sprays you use. Be careful what you breathe.
5. Watch what gets on your skin. Those insecticides you put on trees and shrubs not only kill bugs they can get to the Liver right through your skin and destroy Liver cells too. Remember they are all chemicals. Cover your skin with gloves, long sleeves, a hat and a mask every time insecticides are in the air or if you are handling them.
6. Don’t eat too much fatty food! The Liver makes the cholesterol your body needs and it does make it enough. Give it a break. Eat a good and well balanced nourishing diet. If you eat the right stuff for the Liver, it will really do its stuff for you.
7. The Liver is a non-complainer. Overloading it with drugs, alcohol and other junk can destroy it. This might be the only warning you will ever get. Because the Liver never tells you that it is in trouble until it is almost at the end of its rope and yours too.
8. But the good thing about Liver is that it can regenerate its damaged cells on its own even if it is cut to more than half. If anyone who has already succumbed to Liver malfunction, they can recover back to normal by certain life style changes.
I hope you now know how much the Liver cares for you and how you must care your Liver. Please treat the Liver – your silent partner and ever loving Liver with tender care and love.
In my next updates I will try to publish some useful information on Liver Cirrhosis, its causes, symptoms, diagnosis and symptoms. So keep watching the space for updates….