The Liver is the largest glandular organ of the body. It weighs about 3 lb (1.36 kg). It is reddish brown in color and is divided into four lobes of unequal size and shape. The liver lies on the right side of the abdominal cavity beneath the diaphragm. Blood is carried to the liver via two large vessels called the hepatic artery and the portal vein. The hepatic artery carries oxygen-rich blood from the aorta (a major vessel in the heart). The portal vein carries blood containing digested food from the small intestine. These blood vessels subdivide in the liver repeatedly, terminating in very small capillaries. Each capillary leads to a lobule. Liver tissue is composed of thousands of lobules, and each lobule is made up of hepatic cells, the basic metabolic cells of the liver.
Liver is a very vital organ of our body. In fact it is the most functioning organ of our body. Unfortunately people do not recognize the importance of Liver. It is like a shield protecting us all the time from various alien intruders into the body. More than 500 vital functions have been identified with liver. It helps you in numerous ways because the liver loves you a lot. Do you love your liver too? If yes, how much do you love your liver? How can you love it if you do not know how much the liver loves you? Let us try to learn how much the liver loves you in different ways.
1. The liver produces cholesterol required for the body and it produces enough. You do not need to buy extra cholesterol for your body. Your body makes most of the cholesterol it needs in Liver. The rest of the cholesterol in your body comes from the food you eat. It is very important to have good cholesterol level in the body. It is because the body uses cholesterol to hold cells together and make important hormones to allow your body work properly. Your body has a gauge to measure the total cholesterol level in the blood. If you are healthy, the more cholesterol you use the less cholesterol the body will make. If you eat less cholesterol your body will make more. This allows you to maintain cholesterol at a proper level. Even if you never eat any cholesterol your body will still make enough. Many people believe that eating more cholesterol is obviously dangerous to the body but eating less or low cholesterol food is okay for health. This is a huge misconception among people. You need zero cholesterol from outside your body. If you eat even less cholesterol the liver has to balance the amount of cholesterol required for the body. Just imagine… how many times the Liver try to balance your cholesterol levels during a life span of yours? Don’t let your Liver over work. It losses its resistance and when that happens it leaves the cholesterol into the blood stream. If cholesterol reaches the blood, it tends to clot in the arteries in the form of plaque. If this plaque increases, it interrupts the free flow of blood resulting in severe cardio vascular diseases. According to Dr. Mantena Satyanarayana Raju when the Liver is making the required cholesterol the body needs; what is the need to intake additional cholesterol through food? Why trouble the Liver? Always eat zero cholesterol food to stay healthy and lead a happy life. I would like to add another important point here. There is a huge misconception among people that food items like Coconuts, Groundnuts, Sesame Seeds, Almonds etc contains cholesterol. There is Zero cholesterol in these things. But there is high volume of cholesterol in the oil extracted from these seeds by milling and processing. Please remember! There is no cholesterol in any thing that comes from a plant. Cholesterol is only made by animals. You can only get it by eating animal products like meat, egg, fish, milk and its bi-products like ghee, cheese, butter, cream, chocolates etc.
2. Liver stores lots of Iron reserves you need as well as Vitamins and Minerals. Without liver, you wouldn’t have the strength to carry on.
3. Liver produces bile, which helps digest food and carry away the waste and break down fats in the small intestine during digestion. Without liver you would waste away to nothing.
4. Liver detoxifies many poisonous chemicals that you give it in the form of alcohol, beer, wine and drugs prescribed as well as illegal substances. Without Liver your bad practices would have killed you. Natural Ways of Living is an excellent way of leading a life without drugs and diseases. In Dr. Mantena’s
Natural Ways of Living the food we eat is the drug in itself to cure your diseases. Some times the drug is essential to treat diseases but why can’t we lead a life free of drugs and diseases? This is absolutely possible through Natural Ways of Living, which our ancestors did in the past. When there were no doctors and medicines, they lived healthier and longer. The drug might cure some diseases but it leaves some waste the Liver has to clean; after all it is a chemical substance which is again harmful to the liver.
5. The Liver stores energy like a battery by stockpiling the glucose. It converts the excess glucose into glycogen for storage and glycogen later will be converted back to glucose for energy. Without Liver the sugar level in the blood can fall dramatically and you would go into coma. In fact, you wouldn’t have got out of bed this morning if the Liver hasn’t done its job.
6. The liver makes the blood that got your system going even before you were born. Without Liver, you wouldn’t be there!
7. The Liver manufactures new proteins that your body needs to stay healthy and grow. Without Liver, you wouldn’t grow properly.
8. The Liver removes poisons from the air, exhaust smoke and chemicals you breathe. Without Liver, you’d be poisoned by pollutants.
9. The Liver makes the clotting factors that stop bleeding when you succumb to injuries. Without Liver, you’d bleed to death!
10. The Liver helps defend you against the germs intruding into your body all the time. It takes on those cold germs, flu bugs and other germs you encounter and knock them dead or injured. Without Liver, you’d be a sitting duck for every infection known to man.
11. The Liver regulates the blood levels of amino acids, which form the building blocks of proteins and converts the poisonous ammonia to urea (urea is an end product of protein metabolism and is excreted in the urine).
12. The Liver clears the blood of drugs and other poisonous substances in your body. Without Liver, You would be killed by venomous drugs and chemicals.
13. When the liver has broken down harmful substances, its by-products are excreted into the bile or blood. Bile by-products enter the intestine and ultimately leave the body in the form of feces. Blood by-products are filtered out by the kidneys, and leave the body in the form of urine.
That’s how much the Liver loves you…! But do you love Your Liver? Think now and act before it’s too late. In my next update I am going to publish some easy ways to love your Liver. Keep watching for the next update…..